Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Circumference of the Earth


As I walked in to the nursing home on April 12th, I was told by the receptionist at the front desk that my grandpa - who we all called Twampa for many years - had just gone in to eat dinner.

I walk into the dining room, and towards my Twampa who is sitting there in his wheelchair waiting to be served his meal.  I give him a big hug to announce my arrival. I sit with him as he struggles to drink his milk, as he chokes on his water, as he tries so desperately to eat his ice cream. "Just a couple more bites, Twampa.", I beg - hoping he can eat enough to sustain him a few more days.

My grandfather had been given a diagnosis of 3 months to live just a few days earlier.  How I was hoping that we would actually be given that long to say good-bye.  Somehow those time estimates are seldom accurate.

After he finishes eating the best he can, I wheel him into the lobby to sit and talk for a bit.  We chat about my trip to Spain and Switzerland and I mention that I was offered a job to teach English in Valencia.  After I say this, Twampa responds, "I'll really miss you when you're gone."  My heart breaks with the thought that he is planning on being alive upon my return in a little over a year.  "I'll miss you, too.", I answer but know it was for a much different reason.  Soon I can see how tired he is so I bring him back to his room.

I get him situated comfortably as he waits for the nurse to come in and get him ready for bed.  Usually, I'd kiss him and say good-bye but this evening I decide to sit next to him with my hand on his arm and watch him rest.  I cling to this shared moment as I know there won't be many more.

Out of nowhere, Twampa asks, "What is the circumference of the Earth?"  "I don't know," I answer - somewhat embarrassed, "Would you like me to look it up?"  "Sure," he responds.  I find the answer and share it with Twampa - "24, 901 miles at the equator," I say - happy to provide an answer even if I did have to look it up!  We go on talking about different facts I find about the Earth.  I quiz Twampa to see what he remembers from geography.  Not unlike what I'd expect, he knows most answers.  "Unbelievable for 95 years old," I think to myself.

After a while, I decide it's time to go.  I give him a kiss and tell him I love him and that I'll be back soon.  He says he loves me too and I walk out.


This is the last time I get a chance to speak with him.  Twampa passed away at 12:15 a.m. on Monday, April 16th, 2012.  I am grateful to have been by his side as he went home for eternity but I would be a liar if I said it was easy.

As I type this, I realize the following...Until the end, Twampa was teaching me something.  Until the end, I loved just being by his side.  How grateful I am to God for letting me call him my grandpa!!

2 comments:

  1. I f' ing love you, Marjorie ! this is one of the most beautiful things I've read ever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dave! He was incredibly important to me!! <3

      Delete